Night Gloves For Eczema, Psoriasis, Dermatitis and Other Skin Conditions
Why is my skin itchy at night?
Itchy skin at night, also called Nocturnal pruritus, is common for most people who suffer from eczema, psoriasis, allergic contact dermatitis, and other skin conditions.
At night time your body temperature and the blood flow to your skin both increase in the evening, warming your skin. A rise in skin temperature can make you feel itchy.
During the day, work, school and other daily activities can distract you from being itchy, however at night there are fewer distractions making your skin more noticeable to scratch.
Along with your body’s natural circadian rhythms, a number of different health conditions can cause itchy skin to become worse at night. These include:
- skin diseases such as atopic dermatitis (eczema), psoriasis, and hives
- bugs like scabies, lice, bed bugs, and pinworms
- kidney or liver disease
- iron deficiency anemia
- thyroid problems
- psychological conditions such as stress, depression, and schizophrenia
- restless legs syndrome
- cancers such as leukemia and lymphoma
- nerve disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, shingles, and diabetes
- allergic reactions to substances like chemicals, drugs, foods, or cosmetics
Treating itchy skin at night
There are few common medicines and solutions to treat itchy skin at night
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), hydroxyzine (Vistaril), and promethazine (Phenergan) relieve the itch and make you sleepy.
- Newer antihistamines, such as fexofenadine (Allegra) or cetirizine (Zyrtec), are also helpful and may be taken at night or during the day.
- Steroid creams stop the itch at the source, however prolonged used can had serious side effects
Wearing gloves at night are a popular and effective solution to controlling your scratching at night and preventing damage to your skin. When eczema, dermatitis and other skin problems are healing, one bad scratching session can set the healing process back for days.
Bamboo gloves are the recommended gloves to wear for eczema sufferers by the Norwegian Asthma and Allergy Association. They are effective in preventing scratching at night time and can also be used for wet wrap therapy. Our bamboo gloves for eczema and skin conditions are available in both adult and kids sizes.
Benefits of bamboo:
- Antibacterial - bamboo has natural elements to prevent the spread of bacteria
- Great insulating properties to maintain a cooler temperature in summer and warm in winter
- One of the softest natural fabric on the planet
- Natural UV protection - protects your hands from sunburns and further aggravating skin conditions
- Hypoallergenic - natural bamboo does not cause allergic reactions
- Most eco-friendly fabric on the planet - from organic farming
- Beware of some cotton gloves on the market that are made of poor quality cotton and polyester blends which can cause allergic reactions. When selecting eczema gloves please go with organic cotton or bamboo.
What not to do if you have itchy skin at night
If your skin itches at night, here are a few triggers to avoid:
- Don’t go to bed in anything itchy. Wear pyjamas made from soft, natural fibres, like organic cotton or bamboo
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol before bed which widen blood vessels and send more blood to warm your skin.
- Don’t use any cosmetics, perfumed creams, scented soaps, or other products that might irritate your skin.
- Try not to scratch! This is easier said than done, we know, but be mindful of wear your hands wander!
You can buy bamboo gloves for night time to treat your eczema and other skin conditions on our website.